General information for international students

Portuguese level required

The student must have at least an intermediate level of Portuguese language in order to attend courses in Undergraduate Program. Any certificate issued by a Portuguese institution or a Portuguese professor will be accepted.
Students from Spanish speaking countries, may submit proof of proficiency as the documents cited above, or even can fill out a self declaration here and upload it to the online application system.

Student VISA

The Temporary Visa Item IV will be valid for an extendable period of up to 01 (one) year, if applicable, upon proof of educational attainment and declaration of extension of visa issued by SINTER.
The request for extension must be officially filed at the Federal Police Department or the General Protocol of the Ministry of Justice, based on evidence of academic achievement and statement issued by SINTER. It is important to be aware of the expiration date of visa. Once the date is expired, the student will not be able to apply for a new visa in Brazil. This is only possible at a Brazilian consulate out of the country.
Warning: It is not possible to change the type of Visa in Brazil, therefore the students should only leave their country of origin with a Student Visa (Temporary Visa IV) or a Temporary Resident Visa (MERCOSUR Agreement). The student will not be able to enroll at UFSC, even in the extracurricular course of Portuguese for Foreigners without a Student Visa.
Students of the member States of MERCOSUR, Bolivia, and Chile are allowed to register at UFSC, holding a Temporary Resident Visa – MERCOSUR Agreement based on Decree n.º 6.975/09.


UFSC does not offer housing for exchange students. Thus, the students must search for their own accommodation. SINTER can provide a list of external accommodations for international students.

Additional information

The Exchange students will be able to register at any Department at UFSC as long as they fulfill all the course requirements and there is seat in the chosen course.
All the responsibilities related to the Exchange program such as Visa, Passport, Tickets, Lodging, Transportation, and Living Expenses are under students’ responsibility, whether the student has scholarship/financial aid or not.
The Exchange students will not pay any fee at UFSC, except for extra-curricular activities. The only fees that the students will pay are related to the home institution, in case there is any.