International students wishing to study at UFSC should arrive in Brazil with a TEMPORARY VISA ITEM IV (VISTO TEMPORÁRIO ITEM IV) stamped on their passport. Within a maximum of 30 days of arrival in Brazil, students should go to the Federal Police office to register and apply for a Foreigner Identity Card – RNE (“Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros”), presenting the following documents:
- Copy of identification page and all stamped pages of the passport;
- Entry/Exit card or stamp on the passport;
- Two recent 3×4 photos (colored, white background);
- Visa Application Form (received at the Brazilian Embassy and/or Consulate);
- Payment of the Guia de Recolhimento da União – GRU, available on the website of the Federal Police.
The update / renewal of visa is the sole responsibility of the student and is an indispensable requirement for effective registration at the University and to enroll in courses at the beginning of semesters. In no event will Tourist Visas be accepted. There is no possibility of changing a Tourist Visa into a Student Visa in Brazil or at the border. This can only be done in the home country.