In compliance with Article 64 of the Decree 9.199 of 20 November 2017, registration is mandatory for all immigrants holding a temporary visa or a temporary residence permit and must be done at the Federal Police Office within 90 days of arrival in Brazil, by appointment scheduled online. To do the registration and request the Migrant Registration Card (“Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório”), students must provide the following:
- Electronic form filled out and printed in white paper. Fill in the name according to the passport, the filiation according to the Visa Application, and the complete current address in Brazil with postal code (CEP);
- Copy of identification page and all stamped pages of the passport or other document that proves the student’s identity and nationality, according to the treaties that the country is a member of;
- Entry/Exit card or stamp on the passport;
- One recent 3×4 photo (colored, white background);
- Visa Application Form, if available (received at the Brazilian Embassy and/or Consulate);
- Proof of GRU Payment related to the issuance of the Migrant Registration Card (“Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório”, Code 140120, R$ 204.77). The fee may be paid on any bank (the receipt must indicate the payment has been made and not scheduled);
- Proof of scheduled appointment at the Federal Police.
- Statement of electronic address and other means of contact, by filling out this form.
The steps to apply for a Migrant Registration Card are also available on the Federal Police website.
Information for completing the GRU (“Guia de Recolhimento da União”):
- Fill out your personal data and address in Florianópolis;
- In the field “Unidade Arrecadadora”, select: “SC – Superintendência Regional no Estado de Santa Catarina”
- In the field “Código da receita”, select 140120 (“Emissão de Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório”)
The renewal of visa is the sole responsibility of the student and is an indispensable requirement for effective registration at the University and to enroll in courses at the beginning of semesters. There is no possibility of changing a Visit Visa into a Student Visa in Brazil or at the border. This can only be done in the home country.
All foreign visitors must have a passport and entry visa. The passport must be valid for the period of intended stay in the country.
For further information regarding visa types, please access the Consular Portal of the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ website.