FAQ – International students




1) My university does not have an agreement with UFSC (or the agreement has expired). Can I apply for exchange?
No. Only students from partner universities or from specific agreements such as BRAFITEC, BRAFAGRI, BRANETEC, BRACOL and BRAMEX can apply for exchange at UFSC.

Check the procedures and criteria for submitting agreement proposals here.

Also check the application procedures for international student exchange here.

2) Does UFSC accept free movers?
No. Only students that are nominated by partner universities can be admitted at UFSC.

3) I won a scholarship from my home country to study at UFSC. Can I apply for the exchange program?
Only if you have been nominated by a partner university.

4) I won a BRAFITEC[1] scholarship. Can I apply for the exchange program even if my university does not have an agreement with UFSC?

5) I won a BRAFITEC scholarship.  How can I apply for the exchange program?

You must contact the BRAFITEC coordinator from the program you want to enroll in at UFSC and ask for a letter of acceptance.

6) How do I know who is the BRAFITEC coordinator at UFSC?
Check with the BRAFITEC coordinator at your home institution.

7) I won a BRAFAGRI[2] scholarship. Can I apply for the exchange program even if my university does not have an agreement with UFSC?

8) I won a BRAFAGRI scholarship.  How can I apply for the exchange program?
You must contact the BRAFAGRI coordinator from the program you want to enroll in at UFSC and ask for a letter of acceptance.

9) How do I know who is the BRAFAGRI coordinator at UFSC?
Check with the BRAFAGRI coordinator at your home institution.

10) What is the application period for the exchange program at UFSC?
Check the application calendar at our website. There are two nomination periods each year, usually in October and April, for students who wish to come to UFSC in March and in August respectively.

11) How do I know when the application period is open? 
Visit SINTER website or contact the Office of International Relations at your institution. All partner institutions are informed about the opening of the application period by e-mail, one month in advance.

The application calendar is available here.

12) I did not receive my username and password to start my online application.
Check with your institution if you were nominated. If so, check if your e-mail address is correct. In case the address is wrong, ask your institution for a new nomination.

13) Can I write the motivation letter in English?
No. The motivation letter must be written in Portuguese.

14) Can I choose courses from any program?
Yes. However, we remind you that your application will be reviewed by the academic departments and may be refused if they consider you are not eligible to attend a course (they will check seat availability and the prerequisites to attend the course).

15) How many courses can I take?
You can take a minimum of 1 course and a maximum of 5 courses, provided that you do not exceed a maximum of 500 class hours during your exchange at UFSC, in compliance with art. 50 of the Resolution no. 17/Cun/1997.

16) How do I enroll in courses? 
SINTER will provide your enrollment in the courses in which you have been previously accepted on the online system. If you wish to include or exclude courses when you arrive at UFSC, you must go to the respective department in the enrollment dates scheduled in the academic calendar. You will be informed about these dates on the day of your registration. It is important to emphasize that SINTER does not have the competence to enroll students in courses. This is a responsibility of the academic departments.

17) How do I prove my Portuguese proficiency?
See the information provided on the Required Documents page.

18) I am taking a Portuguese course, but I still do not have a certificate to upload. What should I do?
Send us an email at incoming.sinter@contato.ufsc.br explaining your situation. Alternatively, you may fill out a self-declaration form and upload it to the online application system.

19) I am a Spanish speaker. Do I need to submit proof of Portuguese proficiency?
Students from Spanish-speaking countries may submit a Portuguese proficiency certificate issued by any education institution or by a Portuguese teacher, or, even, they may fill out a self-declaration form and upload it to the online application system.

20) Can I study Portuguese at UFSC?
Yes. The UFSC Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures (DLLE) offers Portuguese as a Foreign Language courses for international students. You can find more information about them here: https://nuple.wordpress.com/curso-de-portugues or http://www.cursosextra.com.

21) Do I need to send my documents by mail or scanned?
No. All documents must be uploaded to the online application system.

22) I want to choose the courses, but I can’t find the course descriptions.
The curriculum and course descriptions are available on the website of each program. See the list of undergraduate programs and their respective websites here. You can also search for curricula and course descriptions here.

23) Does UFSC offer courses in English?
No. All courses are taught in Portuguese, except for courses in the English, French, German, Italian and Spanish Language and Literature programs, which are taught in the respective language of the program.

24) What documents are required for registration at UFSC?
To register, you must go to the Office of International Relations (SINTER) on the scheduled date and present the following documents:

– Passport;
– Student Visa (VITEM IV) linked to UFSC;
– Travel insurance valid in Brazil for the entire exchange period, covering accidents, illness, disability, death and repatriation of remains.

25) I arrived in Brazil with a visit visa. Is it possible to change the type of visa in Brazil?
No. It is not possible to change the type of visa once you are in Brazil. Therefore, students should only leave their home country with a Student Visa (VITEM IV) or a Temporary Resident Visa (MERCOSUR Agreement). You will not be able to register at UFSC, not even to enroll in the Portuguese for Foreigners course, without such visa. The change of visa type can only be done in a Brazilian Consulate or Embassy abroad.

26) Does UFSC offer scholarships for international students coming from institutions with which it has a bilateral agreement?
No. UFSC does not offer scholarships for international student by means of bilateral agreements. The student can receive a scholarship from specific cooperation agreements, such as BRAFITEC and BRAFAGRI, or from their home institution.

27) Do I have to pay any type of fee to study at UFSC?
No. Exchange students will not pay any fees at UFSC, with exception of fees for extension activities, extracurricular courses or other non-regular activities. The fees of your home institution, if any, shall be paid according to its policies and regulations.


1) Does UFSC provide housing for international students?
No. UFSC does not offer housing for exchange students, so you must search for your own accommodation.

However, SINTER provides a list of housing opportunities for international students which you may consult. UFSC also offers a classified ads website that can be helpful: Classificados UFSC.


1) When does the selection of study buddies for international students take place?
SINTER usually opens applications for the Study Buddy Program two months prior to the beginning of each academic semester.

2) I am an international student. Will I get a Study Buddy?
Yes. We will inform you the name and contact details of your Buddy via email.

3) What does the Study Buddy do?
The Study Buddy is a volunteer UFSC student who will give you guidance and assistance upon arrival in Florianópolis. He or she is responsible for:

  • establishing prior contact with you, in order to know the date and time of your arrival and provide information about Florianópolis and UFSC;
  • receiving you on the day of arrival, preferably in the airport;
  • helping you find a place to stay for the first days, if necessary;
  • giving directions on how to get to UFSC and to SINTER;
  • helping you arrange the documentation and registration with the Federal Police;
  • giving information on how to get the “Passe Rápido” (bus card);
  • assisting you whenever necessary.


1) I want to do an internship at UFSC, is it possible?
Yes. Below are the guidelines that international undergraduate students should follow in order to do an internship at UFSC:

  1. Check if your institution has a cooperation agreement with UFSC. We can only register students if there is an agreement. Click hereto see the list of our current partner institutions.
  2. Check if the company in which you wish to do the internship is registered at the UFSC Academic and Professional Integration Department (DIP). Students can only do internship in companies that have been registered. This does not apply in case the internship takes place in an UFSC laboratory.
  3. You must have a supervisor at UFSC in charge of your internship.
  4. The supervisor shall send you a letter of acceptance, which will be required to obtain the student visa. If you register through our online application system, SINTER will be in charge of sending this letter to you.
  5. Upon arrival, SINTER will carry out your registration at the UFSC academic system (CAGR), and the Department will enroll you in the “internship” module, except if your application has been done through SINTER’s online application system. In this case, you must select the “internship module” at the moment of application.
  6.  After enrollment, you must fill out an Internship Letter of Commitment (TCE) provided by DIP. The letter must be signed in four counterparts by (i) the supervisor at UFSC, (ii) the internship supervisor at the company, (iii) the DIP Director and (iv) the student. One of the counterparts must be kept at DIP.
  7. In case you wish to stay in Brazil for more than six months, you should apply for a visa extension at the Federal Police and request your enrollment for the next semester at SINTER. Exchange students can stay at UFSC for a maximum of 2 semesters.
  8. Except for internships carried out at UFSC or at other Brazilian Federal Higher Education Institution, we inform that foreign students are allowed to do internship in Brazil for up to 120 days without the need to be registered in a Brazilian education institution, in accordance with the Resolutions no. 111/2014 and no. 88/2014 of the National Council of Immigration (CNIg). In this case, the TCE will be signed by the student’s home institution and the Brazilian company in which the internship will take place (no relation to a Brazilian education institution is required).

2) I cannot access SIARE, what should I do?
International students do not have access to the SIARE, an internship registration system reserved for regular UFSC students. This way, all the procedures for registering your internship should be done directly in the Academic and Professional Integration Department (DIP) of the Prorectorate for Undergraduate Studies (PROGRAD), located at the second floor of the Rectorate Building I.

3) I want to do an internship in Medicine. What are the procedures?
In order to take courses or carry out an internship in Medicine, you should contact the Program Coordinator directly at estagios.medicina@contato.ufsc.br. Your email should contain the following documents and details:

– academic transcript;

– motivation letter;

– desired field of internship; and

– intended date of arrival in Brazil.

The Program Coordinator is responsible for reviewing the documents and accepting or not the student’s application. It is not necessary, therefore, to register on our online application system.

For more information, visit the Medicine Program website.

[1] Bilateral cooperation agreement between Brazil and France through university partnerships in the field of Engineering.

[2]  Cooperation agreement between Brazil and France for the promotion of student exchange in the fields of Agricultural Sciences and Engineering and Veterinary Medicine.